PetSmart

Friday, May 4, 2007

Meeting Tulip for the first time

We learned of Tulip while searching the internet for local animal shelters. We came across the website of FOCAS (Friends Of County Animal Shelters). Tulip was in foster care with a FOCAS volunteer named Janet. As soon as we saw her picture and read about her, we knew she was the cat for us.

Janet was kind enough to let us come to her home and meet Tulip. She's a bit on the shy side, so Janet had her waiting in a large wire pet kennel for us. When we arrived Tulip retreated to an empty litterbox that was in the kennel with her. She didn't seem particularly stressed or scared, just very cautious. As we stood next to the kennel and chatted with Janet Tulip laid at the entrance of the litterbox and listened in. She seemed quite interested in what was going on but completely uninterested in coming out. After chatting with Janet and talking to Tulip through the kennel for a while, we opened the kennel door. Tulip stayed put and allowed us to get closer and pet her. I was very relieved to see that. She sniffed us and listened very attentively to us. Her face is so sweet, it's just priceless. We fell completely in love with her. Janet's husband came out to the garage to join us. He decided to take Tulip out of the kennel so we could interact with her a bit more. She allowed him to hold her while we talked to her and petted her head. She was quite tolerant which made us really optimistic.

As we drove home, we discussed the meeting. We both thought things went really well. We decided that we were ready to commit to adopting Tulip. We will be bringing her home for the first time tonight. And so the adventures begin...

3 comments:

Razzy said...

Hi Tulip,

My name is Razzy and like you I am a blind kitty, I was a FOCAS rescue too. My mom thinks I'm amazing cuz I can find my way around the house without any problems; I don't know what the big deal is I do have other senses who needs eyes anyway! I have 3 cat siblings and we like to chase each other and wrestle. They think they have an advatage over me cuz I can't see but I prove them wrong all the time.

Hey my mom says that me and you look a lot a like, maybe we are long lost cousins.

Well Tulip I gotta go now, nap time
I hope you enjoy your new digs.

Keep in touch

Love,
Razzy =^--^=

Raynay said...

Hi Razzy. That's SO cool! It sounds like you're a very lucky cat too.

I came from a foster home with 6 other cats. I was the prankster of the bunch. I'm not sure they even noticed that I can't see! I liked to lay in wait for them and attack when they came around corners. My new home doesn't have any other pets yet. I'm not sure if I like that or not. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Do you have your own blog too?

terri said...

I loooove Tulip's blog!!! So happy she found such a wonderful new home! Thank you so much!I remember her leaving the shelter, and how excited and nervous Janet was to get her!